Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What Should I do To prove to my parents that I can take care of a bunny?

I really want a bunny but my parents wont let me, they say that i need to prove myself responsible. what do i do to prove that?What Should I do To prove to my parents that I can take care of a bunny?
Just so you know, rabbits are A LOT more work than most traditional pets. When people say they are an ';easy pet,'; it is a huge misconception.





I only have one bunny, but I have a very lengthy care routine that must be carried out everyday.





He eats four cups of freshly chopped veggies every morning with unlimited hay (you must rotate at least 3 types of bunny-safe veggies a day to ensure he gets all the necissary vitamins) and his water needs to be changed regularly.





His litterbox must be cleaned daily because the ammonia will damage his lungs (not to mention accidents- bunnies are really messy)





I have to groom him every other day since he is long-haired and clip his nails once a month.





He needs a hutch/cage that needs to be cleaned and maintained weekly.





He has a bunny proof room (as all should- do not keep them locked in cages!!!). We have playtime and rotate toys daily.





He needs regular vet checks to ensure healthy teeth and GI.





The list goes on....





Now, my bunny Linus is one of my most favorite pets, but even as an single adult, I have trouble finding enough time to care for his basic needs. Perhaps your parents are right. Unless they are willing to help with the care of the bunny, you may have more than you can handle, and one should not get a pet unless they can offer it the best quality life.





As for convincing your parents, buy SEVERAL good quality rabbit books that cover everything from health to basic care. Read them through until you are an expert on the subject. Consider if you still want the enormous responsibility.





Then sit down with your parents and tell them everything this lovely new pet will entail and work out a comprimise.





Good luck!!!





~AnnieWhat Should I do To prove to my parents that I can take care of a bunny?
if they said that then ask them how to do itif they wont tell you.


if there is a family pet take some of that responsibility


clean your room


always do what you are told


oh and last summer after i got a giune pig i thought i wwas ready but owning a pet is a lot of work (a rabbit is even more work thana guine pig) and i know you have heard that from your parents but until i got a guine pig i had no clue how much work.


try to get your parents to let you ';test drive'; a freind rabiit hamster gerbil guine pig or soemthing like that for a week or see and then reavaluate your readiness for a pet.


when i was aiming for a guine pig last year i probably would have ignored this if someone told it to me saying i was ready for the responsibility but be careful oh if you do get one make sure you get the care sheet from your ocal petsmart and save yourself $50 and buy food and bedding from walmart. i boought everything from petsmart for guine pig and cost $80 when i could have but what had to be bught at petsmart for $30 (guine pig and water bottle and chew sticks) and bought the rest for $15 at walmart
You could start researching the breeds and which one you like best. Also you could find out the cost of a rabbit per month and start saving the money for a hutch, rabbit, food, etc. I hope this helps! Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment