Saturday, August 21, 2010

How did growing up with a single parent affect you as an adult?

I grew up with a single mom who struggled financially. She was depressed, defeated, and very negative towards men. Thus, I became fiercely independent and mistrusting of men. I also focused on earning a great salary since I did not want to end up like her. Did anyone else encounter this or other emotions having a missing parent?How did growing up with a single parent affect you as an adult?
Oh my goodness, yes!


I'm going through this right now actually, I'm a 15 year old girl.


My father has never been a part of my life. I haven't seen him for 6 years. And, only met him 3 times in my life.


A few weeks ago, I wrote my father a letter and dropped it off at his house. I went out of my way, (had to get my friends older sister to drive me out of the city to FIND his house).


I have not heard from him, and it makes me sick to my stomach. How people can do this to their own flesh and blood.


I'm an A student, don't smoke, drink, or do drugs. I try to be the best person I can be, I try and love of what I know of my father. But as much as I TRY to hate him, I can't.


My mom has trued relationships. but I always resent men because I think they will take plae of the father I never had.


My mom works two jobs to take care of my sister and I.


I always tell myself if anything happens like this to me, I'll love my children unconditionally, (no matter what!)


At the age of 15, I've become quite independent. I have many emotions, and feeel the same way you do. You may not like hearing this from someone younger, but know that you are not alone.


You are a beautiful, strong person, and your father missed out on that.


Keep your head up,


ChelseaHow did growing up with a single parent affect you as an adult?
My Mom left when I was ten. It's hard growing up without a Mom especially when you were around my age. I also have abandonment issues and have had to go to the therapist because I was depressed at one point. It ran in my family and right at the time my mom left my uncle and great aunt died and I was close to both of them so it was really hard on me there for awhile.
My ma was a single parent who got no help from my father who was bankrupt and an alcoholic. It helped me learn that women don't need men for anything. Even though I am married to a wonderful man, I am still a hard working independent woman. I pay for all of my own billas and expenses with out any help from my husband, and we split all of our shared bills 50/50 (in example: rent, electricity, cable).
my dad left when i was 5 saying ';shes in school now, you keep her'; to my mom and she worked her butt off to support my brother and me. she would sometimes work 24 hours straight when i was a teenager which resulted in me having no supervision and i had my first child at 16(just like her). once i was 19 i got a great job and got a nice car. i have since fallen on hard times(as im sure half the nation has also!!) and im living back home with my 2 daughters. i know things will get better though:)
i love my mum and always will if it wasnt 4 her i woudnt be typing 2 u right now she brought me up in bangladesh all by her self 4 11 years till my selfish dad decided 2 bring me over 2 london n i know da only reason she wanted me to come over here is to have a good education n hav a better life which i didnt till i came in to care n now im studying level 3beauty therapy when i have enough money i will bring my mum over here and give her the best of me n all the happines she desrves


wat can i say shes d reason im still alive if i dont have her i will kill me


so dont ever say u dont wana b like her all the money u make u should take ur mum on holiday go out evry day and have fun show her ur apreciation after all ur d only person she has just like my mum only has me
no, but i am a single mom who struggles financially and I get depressed and feel defeated but not negative towards men. i love men.

No comments:

Post a Comment