Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Should parents who stick their children on ritalin be subject to a psychological evaluation them selves?

I mean, it is a well known fact that add and adhd are way over diagnosed. Should it be a law that before a child may be diagnosed with a behavioral disorder, that their parents must first be subjected to psychological evaluation to make certain that the parent in and of themselves is not causing the behavioral disorder through their own actions?Should parents who stick their children on ritalin be subject to a psychological evaluation them selves?
I don't think pills are the answer to making a child calm down, or behave. When I was 7 I had a mean streak. I was really bad at school and was put in Juvenile hall. The doctors answer to it was, let's put him on this medication!(Can't remember the name of it)





But that medication didn't help me at all. I was still being mean. But a good *** whoopin from my dad fixed the problem.





But yeah medication is not the answer. I think kids are over drugged.Should parents who stick their children on ritalin be subject to a psychological evaluation them selves?
I understand your concern about the parental (and teacher, since they request a lot of the tests) role in assessing ADHD (it is now all called that--see links below).





However, only 3 to 5% of children are actually diagnosed.


Diagnosing is done by doctors, not parents.


Brain-imaging has been done to prove the existence of ADHD in children as young as 3 years old.





In any case, a law is a bit dramatic and a psychological evaluation of the parents won't necessarily tell you whether or not they are good parents. Perhaps Family Therapy should be part of the prescription instead. ADHD and children with behavior disorders (no matter how they came about--fetal alcohol syndrome, etc) need more attention from parents and better practices at home.





As for the high incidences of ADHD, have you ever done research on US vaccinations that contained mercury? The occurrences coincide.
Although I agree that pills are given out like candy now a days. A parent is only looking out for the well being of their child. Now don't get me wrong I am perfectly fine with psychologists, they have helped a person I know a BUNCH. There are going to be some doctors who just dole out the easy answer of Ritalin though, but not all doctors are like that.
The American standard for diagnosis needs to be changed.





In the UK (where the incidence rate is 1 child out of 1000) a psychologist AND medical doctor need to observe and diagnose the phenomena in two settings....





So why is it here that half a classroom can have it?


Hmmmmmm?





Is there something so different between British and American Children? Yeah, I didn't think so either....
I don't think that they should just be put on medication because their parents say they should


Some parents only want to put their kids on ritalin, painkillers and other sedatives so that they can be put on their own high on their painkillers or whatever that they've been prescribed
Mostly over restriction by the parents is leading to psychological evaluation. Children's should be turned to give ears what we say be achieved with more love and affection we show them in all aspects.
Yes, I suppose that does seem reasonable.

No comments:

Post a Comment