Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Parents with two or more children: Do you honestly have a favorite child?

I know that the politically correct answer is to say that you love all of your children equally. I am curious if this is always necessarily true.





Honestly speaking, do you have a favorite child or any children of your own that you prefer over another?Parents with two or more children: Do you honestly have a favorite child?
Christy, while I love my children with all my heart (as Zilla said, maternally) I don't love my kids equally -- I love them *differently.* They are individuals with their own strengths and weaknesses, and with personalities that vary widely.





Some of these differences are more *in tune* with my own personality, so this provides a common bond with a particular child in a specific area. Of course, this is true with each child.








My oldest son is a bit of a comedian, so his sense of humor and quick wit is endearing to me. What's not to love about someone who makes you laugh? I can't crack a joke to save my life, so my son shows me the sunny side of everything.





My middle boy is responsible, well-mannered, polite, and charming. Also, he can fix anything. I love that he can take care of things around the house, and that he enjoys doing it. He's well loved and admired by his brothers and I.





My youngest is a carbon-copy of his mother -- quiet and serious, thin-skinned and easily hurt. It's this sameness that forms a wedge between us -- we're too much alike-- but the ability to talk about anything draws us close.





Just as each leaf on a tree is different, so are my children. They are individual and unique, making it impossible to love them equally, but possible to love them for who they are, in a special, treasured way.Parents with two or more children: Do you honestly have a favorite child?
Thank you, Christy.





((((((((((Christy))))))))))

Report Abuse



Well like you said, a good mother wont choose favorites, but there are times yes that you will want to. I mean there are sometimes that you like one child over another. Just cause of their actions or attitudes, some of them are better then the other child. But NEVER say that you like so and so better, cause then he/she will think that you don't love them or there will be a thought that you like so and so better then them. And jealousy will come about. and you don't want that trust me. But all and all sometimes moms and dads do have a favorite, but they keep it to themselves, so they don't hurt anyones feelings.
I can honestly say that I do not have a favorite child. I do have favorite ages and stages of childhood that they will all go through but not a favorite child. When one is throwing a tantrum and the other is being a sweetheart, you can guess which behavior I prefer. That doesn't mean I prefer one child over the other though. They are both different and unique and I love everything about both of them.
I have two sons that are 6 years apart and I have to say there are things about one or the other that I really like and there are things about both that I don't care for.





It is true that you love your children in different ways, I do not have a favorite.





I had three siblings and I have to say that I felt that I was my mom's favorite when I was growing up. As an adult I still feel like she liked me more than the others. When my sister and I talk about this she tells me that she always thought I was my mom's favorite. My mom is dead so it's not like we can ask her so maybe it just depends on the parent.
Honestly, I don't have a favorite. I truly love them all equally. They all have their strengths and weaknesses just as DH and I have strengths and weaknesses. Sure I love things about them that stand out as unique, but if I had to choose one to give away or something, there's no way I could do that. I'd rather die myself than have to choose one over another that way.
No favorite. I guess I did when they were say 20 months and 3 months. My favorite was the older one My son(the baby at the time) was a huge handful for me until Id say he was 6 months. Severely colic and I was bitter because he required so much of me, I felt like I was being taken away from my daughter . Feel guilty? Yes,however at the time I was going through severe depression. But when we both got passed that, Id say he was several months old, they both had just as much love. I love them for different reasons in some ways and prefer one over the other is different settings. Ex. Its much easier to shop with my son. They are 6 and 7 now and both are genuinely loved equally.
i try to love all of my children equally, but sometimes I catch myself favoring one over the other. now usually, this is one of the kids getting to do something or have something the other ones don't. this may be due to the fact the first child did something without being asked (chore or something like that) which the other kids can't see the logic in rewarding good behavior and will play the ';you love so and so more than me'; this happened with me growing up and my three brothers and it happens with my four kids. I personally think this is something genetic lol
I wouldn't say that my son is my ';favorite';,but we are a lot closer than I am with my daughters.Yes I love all my children,but I just prefer being around my son more on a social level.We are extremely close for being mother and son.


I enjoy all my children's company,but my son is more fun and honest


with me.
No. Both my children are different from one another. They both have things that are unique to them that I couldn't live without. My son is so laid back and easy going. He is so smart and I love the way he thinks and looks at things. He is just so smart for his age that it makes me laugh. My daughter reminds me of me. She is a character. She is so easily amused (like her mother) and loves to make you laugh. So I truly love both my kids equally. I love them for different reasons, but I couldn't pick one over the other. They are my babies. I love them and I like them both. =)
i have a 5 year old boy and a 4 year old girl,


and i can truely say i love them both equaly,


they have very different personalities,


and sometimes i like ones attitude better than another,


but all in all i love them for ther differences!


they arent perfect but i wouldnt change a thing about them!


i love how they have their own oppinion, i love how they have strong personalities and i love how they challenge me on things!





... why do you ask?
All parents with more than one child love their children in different ways. My mom loves me in a different way then she loves my brother because my brother and I are not the same person. This doesn't mean that she favors one over the other or loves one more than the other. She loves us both the same amount, just in different ways.





I have one child and one on the way and I can't imagine loving one more than I love the other.
I can honestly say, it may depend on what day it is!


You love your kids the same but some days one will drive you to the brink of madness and another won't so guess who you'd rather be with?





My kids are all very different and individual. I don't have a favorite but just like in life you find some easier to spend time with or do certain things with.


You just learn what each child enjoys and then try to join them in that.
No, I do not have a favorite... Sometimes one or more children are 'easier' than another, but I honestly love them all the same.





I like this saying: ';I have heard that you love your kids on different planes for different reasons, but the plane is all the same size.';
i'm a mom of a 2 1/2 yr old and one on the way and I often wonder if i'll favor my first born over the second baby I doubt it tho lol ... although when I was young my brother and sister (older by 11 and 8 years) always said I was the favorite but as I saw it then they would get something and I would get something but once I hit my teens my dad got a really good job we moved to FL and I started seeing that my mom did everything for me.. my brother and sister didn't live with us anymore by then they were adults and on their own. I got a car (hand me down from my mom) and other things. Me and my mom were really close then. Now it's all about my sister partly i think b/c she has been throwing fits about me for years ...we're all adults now with kids and living with our spouses ... but yeah I think parents can have favorites
my son is 8 now and has asked me, when the new baby comes, who will be the favorite. (what do you say?) So I told him ';well, you're my favorite 8 year old';. ';The baby will be my favorite baby.'; We read the book about the 8 little bears who ask their mom the same question and she pulls the same diplomatic answer I used.





I honestly don't know how else to answer the question...
No,I do not have favorite.Each child is different and each have a special quality about them.


Favoring one child over the other(s) can really hurt the other child(ren) and damage the sibling relationship.


Love your children equally and ,pay equal attention to them.
I do NOT have a favorite..There is no way I could..I love them both equally..my children are 3 and 2...their both boys..yes they have differences in them but their is no way I could ever have a favorite.. we want 3-5 more children..no matter how many kids I have I will NEVER have a favorite!
I don't. My basic, maternal love for each of them is the same. But there are different things about each of them that make me love them even more. My son, for instance, for his sense of humor. My elder daughter for her intelligence. (They're all 3 intelligent, but she's one of those brainiacs.) My younger daughter's sharp tongue and take no prisoners attitude. Lol. She's a pistol. These aren't the only things, just examples :)





Edit: I think (((Sips)))) has expressed it perfectly :P
No, I only have one child, that I know of, lol. He's my pride and joy, but I don't think that children or grand children should be favourites. By the way I have 2 sisters and a brother, who thinks he's the favourite, but little does he know.
honestly i cant say i have a favorite but i have one that amuses me more then the other 2. she is just a whole different soul then the other two. i cant say she is my favorite cause they all seem to amaze me she is just the one that sticks out out of the 3 girls.
I have 2 boys and I do not love them equally - I love them uniquely.





Each of them have their own way of being, each their own strengths and weaknesses and their own way of seeing the world. I love them differently but completely.
Father of boys (nearly 8, other 6) and daughter (4).





I love 'em all and have no favorites. They're each unique with their own foibles, quirks, genius and talent. All are unequal in many ways, but in my eyes they run neck%26amp;neck.





(((((Christy))))) (((((Crazy)))))
Yes, I have a favorite.





But the thing is, it changes. Depends on what stages they're in and so on.





And of course it doesn't mean you love one less. I love them both the same. Some people over think this question, lol.
As of yet, I don't have a favorite, no. But then again my children are still pretty young. My oldest is 5 and my youngest is 9 months. Although I do tend to favor whichever child is being less fussy.
i have only one so far.but i know that first usually more close to parents.I m youngest in my family and I know my mom love my brother more.


to me she always been to strict.
I only have one but I know I am my mom and dad's favorite, my brother is a tool!!





Granted we are both adults now so this realization which came to light 3 years ago has no affect on the people we are now!!
No. And when I see other parents grossly favor one child over another, it pisses me off.
No, I really do love them both equally, but sometimes the baby is a breath of fresh air from my 3 yr old and vice versa.
at tome i do but not all the time. you know when the two of them want to do something stupid and th other doesn't thats when.
I honestly don't have a favorite child.
I love my two girls (15 and 17) equally but there are some things I favour in one and other things I favour in the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment