Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Parents of preschoolers: How structured is your day?

I have 2 preschoolers and a new baby on the way. I'm nesting a little bit, and I'm feeling very unorganized. How structured is your day with your preschooler?





Some days I feel like planning EVERYTHING, like I would in the classroom (I used to be a teacher). But when I do that, I feel like we have no freedom to just hang out and relax and just color if we feel like it. So a lot of days I just end up planning nothing and not really doing anything either. We don't even have a consistant naptime anymore! I'm trying to find a good balance.





So how much of your day with your preschooler is planned?Parents of preschoolers: How structured is your day?
My day has a routine, not a plan.





We get up, eat breakfast, have a little TV time while I fix breakfast and get myselft together, we play, we go out, we have lunch, we rest, we play again, then a little bit more of TV/video time while I fix dinner, then it's play with daddy, snack, bedtime routine.





I find that it is more of a predictable pattern than a structured routine - but it works. It's enough of a schedule that I know what is going on, but it offers lots of flexibility to adjust to their moods.





Sometimes during ';play'; we'll do a craft. Sometimes I play with the kids, sometimes they play on their own. It all depends on what is going on. When we go out, it can be something ';fun'; or it can be the grocery store.





And I don't worry about sticking to it if something comes up.Parents of preschoolers: How structured is your day?
Unfortunately, for me, none of it is...the summer has been very hard on my schedule from the older kids staying up late and the youngest one refusing to be outdone...once school starts, things will get a little better for me, hopefully for you too


Good luck!


;)
  • make up tips
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment