Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The best parenting resource?

What is the best resource you found as a new parent? Website? Book? Person? and why?The best parenting resource?
La Leche League, most of our parent/child groups (play group, junior book club, parent/child yoga, etc.), and anything by Dr. Sears have all helped me. Of course, maternal instinct prevails in the end.The best parenting resource?
The books by Drs Sears regarding attachment parenting, and the book, ';Parenting with Love and Logic'; regarding helping your children to learn via natural consequences.
My mum's %26amp; kids' group - a book could never have taught me what I learned from other mothers.
Relatives that have been through it already were the best resource.
The Bible. Because it is everything I need to know to live a life pleasing to God. Both me and my husband feel the same way. We also have found that other parents are helpful (well some of them).
i think the best parenting resources are watching other parents and deciding what you think will work and what won't. i also pick my grannies mind a lot (she had 7 kids), i figure she knows a thing or two. regardless of what type of parenting resources there are, i don't think any one or two is suited for every parent. i think parenting is a trail and error experiment. what works for one might not work for another. also what works today might not work tomorrow. i think you just draw in information from every where and try to process it to best fit your situation. if it works, great, if not well you try something different.
My mom (gee, I miss her, she died when our son was four) - and my three older sisters, who all have kids.


Dr. Spock (yes the old old geezer, his original book is still a good emergency resource) and Dr. Mom were my books of reference. Didn't have the internet when child was small.

No comments:

Post a Comment