Friday, July 30, 2010

Parents: Were you or someone close to you have to repeat a grade twice as a child?

Do you think it helped? Do you think that it caused you or someone you know to really hate school? Were you (or someone close to you) able to be successful in school at some point? Did you (or someone close to you) graduate from high school? I've read from several places that the dropout rate is about 99% for those who have to repeat a grade twice. Every time a parent asks on Yahoo Answers if their child should repeat a grade then the general consensus is ';yes';. Even if its the second time. So what's your personal experience with this?Parents: Were you or someone close to you have to repeat a grade twice as a child?
I had to repeat Kindergarten twice. I started school at 5 years old and repeated Kindergarten at 6 years old. My mother held me back because I was born premature at 24 weeks and I was a slow learner. She thought I wouldn't be able to handle the stress of going to the next grade. My 6 year old brother had to go to preschool twice because he had a cancerous tumor in his brain at 4 years old and now will never be the same. He also had a broken leg because he was in a head on car crash in August 2004. He will now start Kindergarten this Fall if he passes all his tests. But his brain does not have the ability to control impulses in his brain anymore. He was actually restrained in a strait jacket when he was at school because he wouldn't sit down and his teachers wouldn't let him go to the bathroom. He also has a speech problem so he'll probably be made fun for his speech problem and his C shaped scar on the back of his head. I also have a speech problem and was in Special ED Math from 4th to 11th grade. I was called a retard by my classmates because I was in the math class for slow kids. I was also in phyiscal and occupational therapy as a little kid because I don't have fine motor skills. I hated school as a kid because no one ever wanted to be my friend and I'd get bullied by other kids all the time from elementrary to high school. I dressed in all black clothing from 14-16 years old and my own mother called me a freak.Parents: Were you or someone close to you have to repeat a grade twice as a child?
I chose to put my son in K twice even though the school wanted to move him up, because we moved halfway through his K year, my ex and I split up, my son hated his new school, couldn't make friends, and came home crying most days. So instead of moving him up to first grade I moved him to a different school (a charter school) and had him repeat kindergarten thinking it would be less stress on him. By the end of the year he was doing second grade work, but socially he was a lot happier. The next year instead of putting him in 1st grade they moved him to 2nd grade, so I guess technically he never went to 1st grade. He is going in to 4th grade and both academically and socially he is a lot better off than he was before.
Ha, my husband failed kindergarten too. What is that? To me, kindergarten is more about the social skills needed to learn in an environment with other kids. But, I digress.





I would have to say that holding a child back even once shows that things are not being dealt with properly. If there is evidence that a child is not ';up to par'; with their respective grade level, it should be dealt with throughout the school year rather than deciding at the end that it didn't work. Twice shows that no-one took the effort to actually work with the child on their level, teacher or parents.
someone close. From my observations it can be very detrimental. First I would recommend bringing the kid to get analyzed in case he/she needs a multi sensory education due to a mental disorder. Also the kid will miss out on his friends so it would help if the kid went to after school programs, boy/girl scouts, etc. Most of all self esteem for the kid plummets, so its important to make sure (as I mention before if he/she needs a different kind of education; dyslexia is the most common), o and don't forget to praise and give love as always.
I think it depends on the reason. My sister had to repeat the 5th grade. We were army brats and some schools teach things other schools don't. She wasn't ready for the next grade because she hadn't had the same previous grade the other children had.


So she needed to.


I don't think she regrets it.
My husband failed kindergarten lol. Maybe he couldn't fingerpaint or something... I don't know. But I knew people growing up who failed a grade of elementary school or middle school and in FL (where I lived in HS), kids have to take a standardized test in 10th grade called the FCAT (sort of like the ACT's...) and if they fail that one test, they have to repeat 10th grade. I saw how embarrassing and hurtful it was to my friends who had that happen to them. Some people are going to disagree with me on this, but... Not everyone is cut out for school. I think everyone should go to elementary, middle, and high school and that their parents should help them do well. But not everyone is cut out for college. I was the first person in my family to go to college immediately after high school-- everyone else had factory jobs. They were hard workers who made a good living. I think too many people stress their kids out by putting unnecessary pressure on them to fulfill the parents' dreams (not the kids') like, ';Why can't you get an A in history? You're never going to get into a good college with a C!'; or ';If you don't do well in high school, you're never going to get a good job!';, but they don't bother to help their kids study or keep them accountable for doing their homework.





Then there are the kids who have learning disabilities and sometimes not even their parents or teachers know and a lot of those kids are (wrongly) written off as being stupid or being slackers. And then think about this: If you're a guy in 8th grade and you're like 16 years old, you're driving, shaving, dating, and your 8th grade peers are still wearing kids size clothes. Or for girls: You're taller, heavier, and more mature looking than the other girls. You get unwanted attention from guys and to all the other girls, you're ';fat';. Kids are cruel and I think that has a big thing to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment