Friday, July 30, 2010

Are birth defects less occuring if the parents are of a different race?

I've noticed most children that have Down's Syndrome or other genetic disorder occur in children who's parents are of the same race. Is there any correlation?Are birth defects less occuring if the parents are of a different race?
Depends on what genes each of the parents carry with re: to possible defects or inheritable conditions/diseases.





Might be interesting to do some research on mixed-race people and birth defects.Are birth defects less occuring if the parents are of a different race?
I hope so because I am Hispanic and my Husband is Black!! : )
I've never heard of there being any correlation unless you are talking about a situation where the parents are similar genetically. This would be along the lines of inbreeding.





Down's Syndrome, in particular, is more common when the mother is older, particularly in the case of the first child, but when I say older, we're talking about 40 years old plus. It's also considered a higher risk pregnancy at that point.





I do happen to know quite a few mixed race families, and there are birth defects present as well as conditions like Lupus. Prenatal care is most important to having a healthy child. A mother should prepare her body to have children with proper nutrition, exercise, medical care, etc., before even becoming pregnant.
I am not so sure about that, my husband is Hispanic and I am white and our son was born with a genetic heart defect. So I guess it all depends on the genes of the parents.


Our first child was born healthy and fine, our second was born with the defect.

No comments:

Post a Comment